Also, I have a slight addiction to books and anything related to books, so sue me. But I may have difficulties with choosing only one book for each category, and this is off the top of my head. A more considered judgement would probably be much different.
1. One Book That Changed My Life
A World of My Own by Robin Knox-Johnston. He was the first person to sail non-stop and single-handed around the world, and this book describes the trip and his thoughts. His self-reliance, common sense, and love of the sea around him resonates with me still. This book, more than any other book of the sea (including 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea), has influenced my path in life.
2. One Book I Have Read More Than Once
- In Science Fiction/Fantasy: Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion and The Hobbit by JRRT every Christmas (and sometimes more), Dune, Foundation Trilogy,…
- Tolerance/Race: Huckleberry Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird, Schindler’s List, Ann Frank
- Biography: A World Of My Own, The Boat Who Wouldn’t Float, Lust for Life…
- History: A World Lit Only By Fire, The Guns of August, A Distant Mirror,…
- Outdoors: Boy Scout Handbook, The Long Way,…
- Literature: 1984, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Gulliver’s Travels, The Old Man And the Sea.
- Science: The Flying Circus of Physics (full of physics questions about the world around you, such as “When and why does snow make a crunching sound, or why should you put cream into coffee before sugar?”
- Sports: Autumn Lightning, St. John’s Ambulance Emergency First Aid
3. One Book I Would Want On A Desert Island
Boat-building for Beginners? Seriously, Bridge of Birds or Dune, 😉
4. One Book That Made Me Laugh
One? Bloom County. Another, The Stainless Steel Rat. Finally, Herriott’s Vet Books.
5. One Book That Made Me Cry
Mila 18, about the Warsaw Ghetto uprising during the Second World War. Others include Schindler’s List and Trinity (about the history of Northern Ireland). Finally, Flowers for Algernon.
6. Two Books I Wish Had Been Written
The last book of the Childe Cycle. The Answers for the questions in The Flying Circus of Physics.
7. One Book I Wish Had Never Been Written
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever. This was in my youth, when I forced myself to finish every book I had started. After this dreck I dropped the habit. Hmm, this book changed my life as well.
8. One Book I Am Currently Reading
Beloved by Toni Morrison. Recently we had the annual celebration of Banned Books Week. Beloved had to have been banned, since it won so many major awards, and also had an important message to tell. My theory is that the quality of a book is directly proportional to the probability that it will be banned.
9. One Book I’ve Been Meaning to Read
Moby Dick or War and Peace. I’ve started then a few times, but have never succeeded in finishing either.